Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm on a mission...

I remember a few years back when Smith magazine came out with a book called “Not Quite What I Was Planning” which was a collection of six-word memoirs. Oh, wow. I think I remember hearing about it on Q. I also remember thinking about the axiom, “If I’d had more time, I would have written something shorter…” and knowing that I would never be able to create a memoir in six words. That. Is. Hard.

Well, the other night, I got “Not Quite”, along with two other collections of six-word memoirs, and I’m a woman obsessed. So much so, that not unlike Tweeters who’ve started to think in 160 characters, I have started to think of six-word phrases that form a complete sentence to describe my life:

Talking faster than I can think.
I’m usually so happy-go-lucky.
Bad luck: I sat in paint.

And I’m getting pretty good at it. But then my friend Luci one-upped me. Today, she came into my office and said, “I was thinking that I need a mission statement. A personal mission statement. Just three words that sum it up.”

What. A. Great. Idea. She’s brilliant.

So now I’m trying to think of three words that sum up my personal mission – how I’m living. Not what I lived! As anyone who’s done any kind of strategic visioning will tell you, though, creating a mission statement is a big job. So I’m still working on it. Right now, I’ve got a few ideas, but they’re pretty rough. Ideas welcome.

Knitting more socks.
More. Cake. Please.

Like I said, they’re pretty rough.

1 comment:

  1. When I do this for clients, I look for common denominators. Your two examples both have the word "more". So I propose that Chris Moran's mission statement be pared down to a pure brand essence:

    More.

    ReplyDelete