Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Revolutions, or "Howzat workin' for ya?"

On New Year's day, my friend Pete posted something in his Facebook status about "getting ready for another "365 in 365" and wanted to know who was joining him. Knowing Pete, I suspected that it was something about fitness, (and I vaguely recall wondering whether we could really be friends when he told me that he was doing this last year) so I glibly asked him if he was planning to eat 365 sandwiches this year. He invited me to join him in his quest to do 365 workouts this year: "gym, hike, ski, run..."

First thought: Why would I do that? It. Sounds. Like. Hell. Well, the gym part does. The rest sounds like fun. Go skiing every day? Ya-hah! (Well, yes, except I don't want snow in July. Or anytime after March. Or before January. So maybe not skiing every day.)

Still, in spite of my jokes, I am not actually lazy, though my move to Chicago has affected my activity patterns. Why is it so hard for a girl to join three Ultimate teams, here!? Or one for that matter? And does anyone know how hard it is to consult a map while biking in traffic? (Uh, Mum, I didn't really do that. And if I did, I was wearing a helmet.)

The whole idea of New Year's Resolutions is a bit foreign to me. I don't really set them because I think that January 1st is an arbitrary -and somewhat depressing day- to start something new. I suppose if I was the type of person to diet, I wouldn't wait until Monday morning "to start". That just sounds like a bad idea and it's probably one of the reasons poor Monday is so maligned. (Aww, who needs a hug?) I pretty much just make changes when I see they're needed.

Well, this is certainly a change that is needed, and besides, it means that I will talk to Pete more. So that's good.

I did, however, negotiate slightly different parameters, because I've seen enough Dr. Phil to know that a goal must be SMART! (Specific, Measurable, etc.) Then I really got to work...

I knew from the outset that my resolution also needed a branding strategy to appeal to me. Me! Me! Me! Saying I would "work out" every day conjured up images of teal stirrup tights with a belted hot pink leotard. (Oh, really? You. Will. Not.) I was condemning it to fail.

It needed to be more lifestyle-oriented. (Take note all you marketeers: this is how you sell to ME! ME! ME!) My "365 in 365" needed to improve my quality of life, decrease my stress, provide a platform to spend time with friends, increase my fitness, while allowing me to keep my dignity in tact. (Did I mention that the teal tights image included a gold headband and softbox lighting? Eesh.)

I think my resolution also needs a storyline and a soundtrack! I'm working on that, but we creative-types are notoriously bad for sticking to deadline, so suggestions are welcome. Thus far, I've got "Changes" by David Bowie or "Things Can Only Get Better" by Howard Jones. Uninspired, both. Maybe "Eye of the Tiger"?

My 365 in 365 is to just be more active. It includes yoga and running but it could also include going for a walk at lunch or - in a pinch - it could include getting off one El stop earlier and walking the extra mile home. Maybe it also includes dancing around my kitchen for an hour in my pyjamas on Sunday mornings. (Uh, okay, already do that. It won't include that.)

That can't be bad at all. I'm hoping it will help me sleep. That would be revolutionary. That would seriously improve my life! So far, I am three days in and I'm still on track! But I would also note that I am drafting this at 4 am. (Irony, you are a skank. And your shoes are not cute.)

Who's in?

No comments:

Post a Comment